Dear Heavens, I turned 44 this week and I still haven’t won an academy award. Not that I haven’t tried. Being a redhead and all – you’d think I would have. Sadly no academy’s for me. And I guess that’s a good thing really.
My life is not what I would have expected 20 years ago. I’m not an award winning novelist, or actress, or circus clown (Mom breathes a silent prayer of relief over that one.) for that matter I don’t have a career to speak of at all like I once thought I would. I’m a married mother of two really neat teenagers and my life consists of helping out with our Mission Start, teaching Sunday School for Women, going to my son’s soccer games, planting my gardens, cooking meals, cleaning my house, loving my husband and becoming a stand up comic. I think that is a good life.
I like to take an inventory every year on my birthday. Just an honest look and where I’ve been and where I want to be. I set new goals and strive for them each year. Last year my goals included learning new things, being more brave, and walking closer with God.
Did you know that if you set the goal of “not being so afraid” it doesn’t mean the fear goes away, it means you get to feel the fear and do it anyway?
So what big scary things did I get to do this year? – I didn’t die by the way, which I’m sure you figured out because you are reading this post.
My scary things that turned out to be still scary but didn’t kill me.
- Drove to the Children’s Medical Hospital in Fort Worth with Dillon for three days to find answers. – we did and he’s seizure free today.
- Drove to Nashville with other Turbo Sisters to be there at Chonda Pierce’s new video taping.
- Flew to Nashville to be in Ken Davis’s Professional Communicator’s Summit. — I shook to my bones, but did it anyway.
- Drove to Nashville (Yes, I’m in love with Nashville this year) for the Christian Comedy Association Conference, found “home” and joined the association.
- Performed a LIVE three minute comedy set in front of Kenn Kington, Nazareth, Thor Ramsey, Bone Hampton, LeLand and a bunch of other profession Christian comics – okay so I almost wet myself over that, but hey, I did it! And I made them laugh. Not bad.
- Drove to Nashville with Jeff to spend 48 hours at the Cove with Randy and Chris Elrod for some retreat and mentoring time.
- Did another live stand up set – this one about seven minutes at the Ablaze Fall Festival and did well enough that people told me I’ve found my right path. 😉 and I was nervous, but not scared.
While looking for God in the midst of fear, I found his path for me. Interesting. He picked the one thing that would seem to scare me most, being myself in front of other people.
Things I don’t do well
- Taking care of myself.
- Managing my time.
- Speaking up without acting out – I still have my temper when I’m tired.
So I have some new goals for this coming year.
- Improve this new path by taking one new class, Dynamic Communicator’s Workshop, with Jeff.
- Walking two miles a day with my boarder collie Rocky. I tried to do three, but my ankle won’t tolerate it.
- Call my mom more than once every other month. I’m really bad at keeping in touch with her.
- Take some healthy cooking classes from Whole Foods.
- Learn how to say no to the things that get in the way of what God wants me to say yes to.
Simple stuff really. But worthy of noting. I’m a caretaker who needs to learn how to take better care of myself. So that is what I plan on focusing on this year. I want to celebrate more birthdays and set more goals for my life.
Do you set goals every year? Would you share on with me?
2 thoughts on “What a Year it has been”
Cool Cheryl – can you tell me more about that? I know you prayer walk a lot is that part of it?
I do 50 day journeys to add new things or break off hindering things.